portfolio

Game Changer Exhibit

“Game Changer exhibition was not only great in content and very engaging for visitors, but it was the best executed exhibition by students, with the least maintenance problems ever (and I am not exaggerating). We are very grateful for this.”
   -Ana Klasnja, !dea Gallery curator

Game Changer, a temporary exhibit in the !dea Gallery (April 20th to September 29th, 2013) at the Ontario Science Centre (OSC), is the single biggest collaborative design project I have worked on to date. I cannot speak highly enough of the team I worked with, nor of our professors for giving us the guidance we needed, but stepping back and allowing us to find our own process. The overall design process was highly iterative, and very few (if any) aspects remained unchanged from the initial project proposals to the finished exhibit.

I cannot take full credit for any one aspect of the exhibit. I will highlight here the parts in which I was most involved, but every part of the exhibit was a collaborative effort.

The project had four primary phases over the course of two University terms: inital proposals, final proposal, implementation planning, and build. In the fall term, we created three initial proposals, and after getting feedback from the OSC, we combined the best parts of each into a final proposal. The implementation planning phase more or less began in January, although we’d already begun considering implementation in the design phase, and we also made some fairly major design changes in January. By March we moved on to the build phase, creating the things we’d planned over the previous five months.

My involvement with the project was primarily from a graphics perspective. I worked closely with several other students on the Graphics Committee to put together the overall look and feel of the exhibit (branded as the Visitor Centre for the Video Game Agency, or VGA), and also to create all of the individual graphic and text panels in the exhibit.

For more information on this project, including a description of the process, and additional photos, check out the Game Changer website. You can also find more information on the !dea Gallery on its website.

Inside the exhibit: “Make an Impact” included information about games for social change, as well as housing a point-counter for the entire exhibit. As visitors interacted with the exhibit, they would earn points, which would be recorded cumulatively on the point-counter. When a visitor completed an activity at a station and pushed the button, the coloured lights leading from that station to the point-counter would light up, and the point-counter would make a bubbling sound as the level in the circle rose.